13 Ocak 2012 Cuma

SAKURA AND CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL


     Sakura is the special name for a kind of cherry tree in Japan. Sakura tree comes to flower, but it doesn't bear fruit. There are different sakura types. One of them is nearly pure white, including pink in some parts. Its flowers are near the stem, so it looks white from top to bottom when blooming. Another sakura type has large flowers. Its flowers are generally pink. Sakura has an importance for the Japanese people. It is the part of a custom called Cherry Blossom Feast and carried out especially in Japan. It is also the beginning of new academic year in Japan.



     Cherry Blossom custom includes a feast during which people picnickes under a blooming sakura. This custom started nearly thirteen centuries ago. When this tradition started to be carried out centuries ago, during Nara Period, people admired appricot flowers. They wrote poems looking at these flowers. This changed in the course of the time. Cherry blossoms came to attract more attention. The custom was only performed by aristocratics of the Imperial Court at first. It started to exist in samurai society soon. In the end, common people common people carried out this tradition. Over time, the government in Japan planted areas of cherry trees to encourage people to practice this feast.

     People in Japan actualize the feast when the sakura trees bloom and the weather gets warm towards the spring. Sakura is the sign of the coming spring. People come together during this time to celebrate coming of the spring and new academic year. They enjoy their time with their families, friends, neighbours and the other people around. They have a picnic under sakura trees. The Japanese are also famous for their tea ceremonies. They don't skip performing tea ceremonies during the feast. They also do some sport activities. There are some programs on TV related to this feast during this time. People do their best to spend that time as enjoyably as possible.

   Cherry blooms, or sakura blooms, have different meanings in Japan. One of them is their being an enduring methaphor for ephemeral nature of life. This methaphor can be embodied as awareness of impermanence. This aspect of the custom is associated with Buddhism. This association dates back to 18th century. People have associated sakura with mortality, because both human and sakura blooms have a brief life. Sakura was also used as a symbol in Japanese art, manga, anime, cinema, music, etc. In addition, Cherry blooms were also used to motivate people during the wars throughout the history. The aim of this action was to stoke nationalism and militarism among the people in the country.




     Cherry Blossom Feast is such an old tradition that almost all nations have received its share from this custom. It has some effects on the countries such as Australia, Brasil, Canada, China, Germany, South Korea, United Kingdom, United States, Turkey,etc. This effect can be seen through the similar activities performed in these countries.
 

7 yorum:

  1. Dear Ayfer,
    I really liked your new journal.Its subject is very interesting and appealing.As i am also into Japanese culture,i really admired your writing.I also found some of the information given above both useful and interesting.For example i didn't know anything about the link between human life and sakura blossoms,but it is very rational and it makes sense.I also liked your style very much.Your text can be easily understood and the colors used within the text are very matching and they look really good. :)

    YanıtlaSil
  2. Dear Özlem,
    Thanks for your kind comment. I felt really happy while reading it. It is also good that you find the information in my text both useful and interesting. When it comes to colors i used, i'd like to mention that i started to use them before i wrote this text. They were not special for this journal, but i realized this situation when you mentioned it. Thanks for your comment again :D

    YanıtlaSil
  3. you are welcome Ayfer :)

    YanıtlaSil
  4. Dear Ayfer,
    Firstly thanks for this beautiful and informative writing.I am also keen on learning about different cultures and their strange traditions.Japan is one of them I really wonder about.My presentation in written expression course was related to another Japan tradition,ikebana,and I wrote about it.If you like you can visit my blog and read it.I read your writing and I really like it .Also comparison method is good.I heard about the importance of cherry blossoms for Japan but I never search about it.Thanks to your writing I learned a lot of things .Thank you very much.I am looking forward to your new topics :)

    YanıtlaSil
  5. Dear Kader,
    Thanks for your nice comment. Japan is the culture i am interested in the most. I like their traditions and other cultural activities, so i will visit your blog as soon as possible to learn something different about this culture. Thanks again :D :D

    YanıtlaSil
  6. Dear Ayfer,
    As same as many people, I'm also interested in Japon culture,because Japans are interesting and they try to protect their tradions and culture in order not to being assimilate. They are loyal to their country and this is the most important point why I like tem so much. In that, this journal draw my attention as soon as I look your blog. I have not heard Sakura so far, so I want to thank to you because of your nice, teaching journal. On the other hand, I like the way of your writing.You explain yourself clearly. I have no difficulty in understanding you. I think we began to develop ourselves, so I am very happy and proud of us for all of our efforts to be eble to be a more effective teacher when we guratuated from our university. I hope you will go on improving.I want to see your better,in that, perfect journals.

    YanıtlaSil
  7. Dear Twin,
    Thanks for reading and commenting on my journal. I am so happy that my journal is helpful in terms of informing you about cultural events. I will go on writing on cultures considering this fact. While writing my journals, i am trying not to use complex sentences so that everyone can understand what i tell. Beside these, i realized that you used the expression 'EFFECTIVE TEACHER' in your comment. You are right about this. It is really important to become effective teachers, and these journals are really helpful about this issue.Thanks again :D

    YanıtlaSil